Campus Information

A Social Security number is intended to accurately record your earnings in this country. Most employees are required to pay a certain percentage of their earnings to the Social Security System through the Federal Insurance Compensation Act or what is generally referred to as the FICA tax.

You must have a Social Security number in order to work. Therefore, if you plan to work you should apply for a social security number. You may be able to use your Social Security card as one of the necessary forms of identification required on the Employment Eligibility Verification Form (Form I-9). The Payroll Office uses this information to determine deductions.

Apply for a number

Social  Security 
Suite A
3971 Research Park Dr
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
Phone: 877-402-0825
Hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-3:30pm


View Larger Map

For International Students

Chat With us

Chat service is staffed during standard Campus Info hours of operation. We also welcome your calls at 764-INFO (4636)